Thread: My 330i review
View Single Post
      06-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
capri330e
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330e

Great to read those user reviews of true BMW owners.

I own a F30 330e Luxury Line and test drove a 320i M Sport today. I was mainly interested in the assistant features to determine whether they increase my safety while....paying attention to scenery and other distractions.

I learned that the combination of assistant features keeps you very good in your lane, brakes on time and smoothly, and accelerates to the speed limit again when possible. At times it sort of 'searches for the middle of the lane' as if a junior driver is behind the wheel. When it encounters a situation it can't handle, the LEDs on the wheel flash yellow and something similar happens on the assist indicator in the dash and HUD.
I was surprised to learn that it does not predict such a situation, it simply encounters it. This becomes dangerous when you trust the system and come across a turn that is to sharp for the system, which happened a few times on connections between freeways. The LEDs start flashing once it runs of the road. Much too late if your were not paying much attention. Of course, the system is not intended to take over the entire driving, just to assist, but still, why can't it predict what will happen based on the map etc? I did not expect that from a premium brand.

I really love the new seats and seating position. The seat is more comfortable and also keeping you very well in it. The position appears to be lower (or the dash and doors are higher). It feels great to be in your cockpit.
The Live Cockpit looks great. Aside from the speed and fuel gage, the rest is just a bonus. Who needs a rev counter with an automatic?
I thought the simplified map would disappoint, but in fact it is sublime. Everything you really need to know is there, very functional.
The HUD is also very bright and in the perfect position. But completely invisible when using polarized shades. Not a bug, just a combination that can't work.

The A/C seems quieter. And so is the entire ride. Again a big improved aiding to luxury feel and a relaxing drive.

The handling is fantastic. I am not sure that the sports suspension has more grip than the non-sport of the 330e, but it definitely has less body roll, turns in sharper and feels very controllable.

The new iDrive is a bit complex with all the pages. But thanks to the lane assist and ACC, you have plenty of time to figure it out. In the end none of the menu's provide any value while driving, except for the map. I tend to use voice control and it seems the best option in this version too. Don't try natural speech, it is still not intelligent enough for that.

The sound of the doors and trunk closing has improved. Even more solid.

The Control Panel has a silver colored striping just in front of it. It is perfectly angled to direct the sunlight into your face. Annoying design issue.

Start/stop is much smoother, and so it the overall everything about the ride.

One of the best things is the new software for the gearbox. In sport mode, it shifts down when you lift of the break, so you enter a corner with sufficient revs to pull out of it. The 330e doesn't do that and i hate it. With the new software, there is hardly any need for manual shifting.

Overall this is a fantastic car. A lot of improvements over the outgoing version.
Am i going to trade it in? Well, a new 330e would cost me more given the changes in taxes (and the raised purchase price). So it's tax versus Assistance and more electrical range (and that nice cockpit, seating position, sound level and sports suspension).

I am going to test drive the Tesla Model 3 too. I expect the driving fun to be equal, and the looks and luxury-feel-level to be less appealing.

I keep dreaming about the i4 for now.
Appreciate 0