Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I'd rather be in the wrong gear than to have the wrong gearbox!! NO M car should have a torque converted crapbox, IMO!!

I'm OK with DCT even though I'm a manual supporter. I'm not ok with a ZF auto...
I guess you will have to get used to it, I haven't seen an indication anywhere that any future M car will still have a DCT, they all moved/will move to ZF8. The more interesting question is whether the next M2 will still have a 6MT and/or if they will reconsider their "M-Performance cars available with ZF8 only" stance and also offer manuals there again at some point.
I won't get used to anything! Happy with my 1M and keeping it long long long term (permanent part of my garage).

Won't buy any car with a torque converter gearbox. Would rather buy something else if I need a 2nd car. BMW isn't the only brand

DCT lost out to ZF8 because of 2 reasons; cost and cost (and possibly also economy and mileage ratings). The ZF8 is a much cheaper gearbox to produce/implement and to maintain. Because it doesn't require the same degree of engineering it's a huge cost cutting benefit to companies who feel customers won't notice or care. Well we do care! Can you imagine a 911 with a ZF8? Will never ever happen...they did traditional auto boxes in the 80s when there were no better options but it will never happen again.