11-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I don't know...I feel like there's only so many things you can do with the daytime running light. The old BMW halo lights were basically copied by everyone (in some way) and then everyone started copying Audi's light design. There's no wow factor anymore with headlight design. The other day I saw a really nice headlight in my rear view mirror and thought oh this is going to be something nice. Turned out to be some 50-60 year old lady driving a Nissan Murano.
We are getting to a point of saturation where LED's are cheap enough that all automakers can put out a fancy LED headlight. The BMW halo lights were unique at the time but that's because the technology was new and it was cost prohibitive to be used on lower end cars so you only saw them on BMW's. I know when I got my M2 that everyone wanted the LCI hexagonal LED's over the traditional halos that have become somewhat dated. Not exactly sure what you can expect BMW to do as they have to adhere to government restrictions so to an extent most LED designs going forward are going to be somewhat similar. As the OP's pictures show the BMW LED's are similar to the VW ones but it's important to note the VW LED's are pretty sharp themselves so you have to ask what's more important? Looking good or looking different for the sake of looking different? The latter mentality brought forth the massive grilles many of us loathe.
Appreciate 1