View Single Post
      03-31-2020, 06:22 AM   #35
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Hydrogen IS electric. The only difference is whether one uses batteries (which need to be regularly charged) or hyrdrogen (which needs to be regularly replenished) to run the electric motor.

Hydrogen is the endgame. It is just a question of how long it will take to get there.
Yes it an FCEV. People make it seem like a company like toyota which doesn't have a lithium ion EV doesn't need to know how to build an EV at all when they'd been making the mirai for years. That hydrogen tank and fuel cell stack, can be replaced by a pile of batteries from LG chem or whatever which i'm sure is basically what an i4 is. BMW needs to hedge its bets they need to be prepared in case this also has a market. I'd imagine the electric parts are basically the same too. A smart company is still going to keep their options open.

I had a coworker who actually had a mirai a couple years ago and it worked fine, it was just a matter of number of stations in Los angeles but you could make it work. If hydrogen takes off and theres more stations then who knows. Hydrogen for the range probably weighs less than lithium batteries... the current gen mirai is 4000 lbs and 5 series sized (the fuel cell stack above was codeveloped with toyota.... so who knows maybe there could be a fuel cell 5 series too). the 2021 mirai is similar sized and even RWD supposedly 400 mile range. Its a lot lighter than say a taycan or a model s for the size

Last edited by hans007; 03-31-2020 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0