03-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #43
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
Although it sounds like you've made your mind up already; to me, it sounds like it would be interesting to see people weigh their options... A FCEV using 2-3x more energy (includes losses at the production level) to drive the same distance; versus having 10x(!) advantage of energy-to-weight over BEV, with much greater range, and all-climate range stability. Additionally, what type of refueling works for them... A homeowner charging at their home; or a rental/apartment dweller filling the tank at a local hydrogen refueling station.

The failure in your assumption is that every buyer CAN charge at home. As a life-long NY-Metro resident, this seems like an obvious glaring omission. I guess I should give this a pass because some people just can't grasp this concept... But it is very real. There are literally millions of Metro-NY residents that will never have an ability to charge at their home. Further, many NYC residents mainly rely on mass transit, so they only buy a single car that is mostly used for extended trips. These buyers would be greatly motivated to stay in an ICE vehicle. I see the FCEV a potentially-realistic option for them.

I see this as one of those situations where more options are better. The BEV devotees shouldn't feel threatened, as I see FCEVs as mostly picking away ICE buyers.
I can appreciate having as many options as possible. Although I do (did!) take mass transit for part of my commute, your driving patterns are certainly different than mine.

I welcome any type of technology that is more sustainable than gas/diesel. But over the past several years, I've just taken a more pragmatic view regarding the alternatives available today, or in the next couple of years.

As someone who has bought four brand new BMWs over the past 8 years, I'm sure BMW would love to have me as a future BEV or Fuel Cell vehicle customer. But until they step up their game, and/or there are serious infrastructure changes, I've got better alternatives than what BMW offers/envisions.
Appreciate 0