View Single Post
      03-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #46
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt7 View Post
Quite a few of you asked about how this compares to my previous F80, so I’ll try my best to answer.

I’ll get straight to it. The M3 is, without a doubt, the sharper and more exciting car. The performance, handling, connectedness are on different levels compared to the G20. It also feels much more special and desirable as an object. I loved driving it.

It was my daily driver. I drove it in standstill traffic, over pothole-filled streets, through rain and snow, and sometimes with friends and family in the car. And it’s these situations where the M340i outshines the M3. The 8-speed ZF is much smoother around town than the DCT. The adaptive suspension is much more comfortable and forgiving over rough surfaces than the (also adaptive) setup in the M3. The interior fit and finish, as well as NVH, is a major step up in the G20.

But the biggest reason why I think the M340i is a better car to live with is the engine & drivetrain combination. The smooth power delivery of the B58 combined with the amazing (driftable!) xDrive system means, around town and on challenging backroads, I can use more of the power more of the time. To me, the M3’s biggest weakness is the lack of rear traction, especially in wet conditions. The spiky power delivery and chassis setup make it quite a handful to drive fast on anything other than dry, flat roads. Here in Vancouver where it rains for half the year, this is huge. And don’t even get me started on driving the M3 in the snow (yes, I had winter tires).

In short, the M3 is an incredible car to drive on well-paved, twisty roads on warm and sunny days. The level of performance, grip, and agility simply cannot be matched by the M340i, not even close. But for what I need out of a daily driver, the M340i is the better choice.

I’m looking forward to reevaluating everything when the G80 comes out.

Here’s an old photo of the M3.

Your new car is beautiful. I too had an M3 competition package but I had the Manual. I now have a RWD M340 on non runlet tires.

The M3 was a connected car, but I found it to be hyper and annoying unless I was driving it at 9/10ths, no 10/10's. Then it was fun, sliding and drifting.

My M340 is definitely faster. The way the ZF tranny bangs off lightning fast gear changes and the power comes on so smoothly. The suspension and ride is so much more comfortable without giving up all that much in handling. Not a fan of the new screen for gauges to the heat and AC controls. They appear cheap.

But overall I would say the M340 is a home run. I would never say that it is "not even close" to the outgoing M3. In fact, my take is that it is better than the outgoing M car in many things that are far more important if it is being driven on the road. You know, to work, to school, to dinner, to the grocery store. You get it.

Unless I'm on the track, give me the M340 and I don't feel like I'm giving up anything. In fact, I would take the new car over the last M 10 times out of 10.

The carbon fiber look "M" digital credit card like key is pretty cool too.
Appreciate 1