Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Official figures have the SMG at 60ms per shift and PDK at 200 ms.

SMG has to be in special 6 bars mode to do this which was kind of hidden like Launch mode for no apparent reason behind some random button presses and couldn't be accessed simply with the shift speed button.

BMW still uses an SMG transmission in its race cars (M8 GTE for example). We just get ZF slushers because too many people complained about the race transmission.

Actually Porsche runs an SMG gearbox and not a PDK in their race cars as well.

Of course, race cars get rebuilt every race and nobody wants to do that for their daily

A human bean with a stick caps out at around 500.
You've conflated the idea of a true Sequential Manual Transmission:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequen...l_transmission

with BMW's as-branded "SMG" electro-hydraulic manual transmission:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...l_transmission

BMW had never used a true SMG gearbox in a road car, and other than perhaps (a big maybe) some obscure exotic supercar, no other manufacturer has either. The "sequential manual transmission"s that are mentioned in the above article from Ferrari and Maserati are also not true SMG gearboxes which (as mentioned in the first article) by design can a) only be shifted sequentially b) have no automatic shift mode.

BMW's SMG in "I", "II", or "III" evolutions does not offer superior overall performance to their DCT transmissions. There is more to shifting than the time it takes to engage a gear. In a DCT, the shift process maybe be slower, but you can start the shift while the car is still in the soon-to-be prior gear so the total time to the next gear is less than the 100ms or whatever time it took to complete the shift.
I'll disagree. First SMG literally stands for Sequential Manual Gearbox. In the SMG article you linked it obviously mentions F1 gearboxes and it even says controlled by a hydraulic pump.

Then the hydraulic pump article mentions it again and also states BMWs time of 65 milliseconds with the gearbox trickled down from F1.

Again, SMG wasn't 'crap' it's better for performance than PDK. It's just jerky at low speeds and it turned a lot of people off. Totally different experience at low speeds to a DCT (my experience is with Audi S6). At track speeds DCT is good when it guesses your next move overwork it feels like the old ZF6 at high speed.

Hasn't been used in proper racing since the 80s I believe.

I suppose I'm the only one that likes SMG and thus it's dead as can be. Enjoy the ZF8s I suppose. Not bad, but a step below DCT imo.
Appreciate 0