Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Here is what I'm getting from looking online:

Quote:
For example, Car and Driver and Road & Track report the 3-Series’ M Sport package adds quicker steering, differently-colored brake calipers, and M Sport suspension. The X5 M Sport package, meanwhile, swaps the sport suspension for an adaptive system. So, although the M Sport package is mostly cosmetic, it can improve handling, if not exactly performance.
Quote:
One step above M Sport is M Performance. An easy way to distinguish between the two is by the badge on the trunk. A 340i with the M Sport package, for instance, will just say ‘340i’; the M Performance version, the BMW M340i, though will actually say ‘M340i.’ And while M Sport is mostly about looks, M Performance adds genuine speed.

Sticking with the 3-Series, the M340i gets a different engine than the standard car. The standard 3-Series engine is a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, making 255 hp. The M340i, though, has a 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged six-cylinder, making 382 hp. Car and Driver found the added power dropped the 0-60 time from 5.2 seconds to 3.8 seconds.

Although it no longer has a manual, the M Performance version does get M Sport brakes, M Sport exhaust, larger wheels and sportier tires, additional selectable driving modes, and a standard electronically-controlled locking rear differential. R&T also reports North America is the only market to receive a rear-wheel drive M340i; every other market only gets the all-wheel drive version. Incidentally, the M340i’s AWD is modified compared to the standard 3-Series’.
Then, when talking about true M cars:

Quote:
And where M Performance cars are mostly intended for street-driving, every BMW M SUV and car is designed with track racing in mind. Matt Farah of The Smoking Tire even took an X5 M on a series of track days across the US, and it never broke down. Also, Car and Driver reports that BMW offers every X5 M and X6 M buyer training at one of its M driving schools. Which, considering what the M models receive, is likely very necessary.

The most obvious is even more power. The standard BMW M3 uses the same 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged six-cylinder as the M340i, only in the M3, it makes 425 hp, according to Car and Driver. The M3 Competition boosts that even further, to 444 hp. The upcoming 2021 M3 could offer as much as 510 hp. But the M-specific modifications go further than that.

BMW gives its M cars wider, grippier tires, unique wheels, well-bolstered sport seats, and upgraded brake pad compounds. Multiple metal components are replaced with carbon-fiber versions: the M5 has a carbon-fiber roof, for instance, while the M4 also gets a carbon-fiber trunk lid and engine brace.

BMW engineers further tweak the M adaptive suspension, differentials, and AWD systems. Drivers can also adjust their M car’s engine, transmission, suspension, and driving modes even more than in the M Performance cars.
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/whats-t...m-performance/

So the M cars are obviously even more performance oriented, no disputing that. But I would say that the hardware differences between a 330i M Sport package and a M340i are greater than those between an M340i and an M3
The M340i can now have a carbon fiber roof. Ive ordered it on mine. Taking delivery late December