View Single Post
      12-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #44
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
If you want to compare apples to apples, M3 Comp xDrive is 0-60 in 3.1…..vs…..m340i xDrive in 4.0. And, if you want to include the 1 ft rollout as the auto magazines do….it's 2.9 vs 3.8. That's a pretty significant difference. And, the gap becomes even more pronounced in a rolling or quarter mile race where higher speeds are involved.

But beyond the significant power difference, as so many on here have mentioned….is the fact that the M3 feels completely different in almost every facet….steering, suspension, brakes, etc, etc. The M3 appeals to all the senses when you're riding in one…..it's hard to describe and somewhat intangible, but it just feels and sounds much different. I have ridden recently in both an m340i xDrive as well as a new G80 M3 and I can tell you there's a significant difference. It feels like something special. I am in the camp that truly feels the m340i is closer to a 330i than an M3.
I’ve never ridden in an M3, and I hope to some day.

But I can definitely concur that a TRUE sports car the M340i is NOT. My 911 feels WAY different. Albeit it’s a totally different car with a rear engine and lots of power. But it’s a beast of a car, or rather a polite beast of the car that is glued to the road and would feel at home in a track.

I imagine that the M3 is much more like that.

Having said that, the M340i deserves some more credit than saying it’s just a glorified 330i. I know what a true sports car feels like, and the M340i holds up decently well when challenged. It’s a bit stiffer on the curves than I’d like, but still able to hold its own. And the damn thing is FAST FAST FAST. It’s nothing short of a performance machine, if you don’t want to call it anything else. BMW did well by this car, it just needs to sound better. That’s where an aftermarket exhaust comes in
Appreciate 1
russell21147.00