2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
BMW M CEO Teases the Idea of Standalone M Sports Car but Rules Out Halo Car

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW M Boss Talks About Potential Future M Sports Car
COMMENTS

Speaking to Top Gear, BMW M boss Markus Flasch seems to hint at a dedicated BMW M sports car in the works.
While this is certainly exciting news, the M boss was also quick to shoot down any speculation of a halo car or hypercar at the close of the conversation.

“Standalone M cars are obviously something that my team likes to work on,” says Flasch. “It wouldn’t be the first time; we did it with the M1 many years ago. We have some very concrete plans for something new.”

It's natural to expect that the formula of the new car would follow that of the renowned M1 with a mid-engined, two seater setup. But the M boss is keeping his options open.

“Not necessarily,” says Flasch of the mid-engined & two-seats formula. “That’s an option. But it’s not the only option.”

Expectations should be similar with the powertrain in that BMW M is not necessarily looking to history for the answer, but rather the future.

“We are working on electrified combustion and we are working on fully electric cars, but we will only bring those options to customers when they offer an advantage in terms of character, in terms of performance. We won’t do it just to be first on the market with a particular type of powertrain. That’s not what our customers are after.”

When it comes to powertrain, BMW M has already announced the strategy of heading towards eventual electrification of its cars.
It's reasonable to expect a hybrid powertrain, although it's still too early in the stage to commit or confirm a specific powertrain.

“It’s too early to talk about propulsion,” he says when we wager that halo car might be electric-powered, “but a brand new model without a predecessor is more suitable than a model with a predecessor.”

BMW had previously said in the past that there was to be no overlap between BMW i and BMW M with respect to the i8 platform.
While this will continue to hold true for the i8 until it bows out, BMW M and BMW i are currently cooperating at a much closer level.

“We have never worked on the i8,” says Flasch, “but the i and M divisions are in constant interaction, we meet a minimum of once a week and there are no dogmas or taboos between us. We share thinking.”

When asked about why BMW M isn't going head-to-head with the AMG One (i.e., a halo car/hypercar), Flasch rules out the necessity for an AMG One competitor.
“It’s a fascinating idea as we have a lot of competitive engineers, so a halo car is always a thrilling idea. But M is so strong – 2019 will be our best year of sales ever – the brand doesn’t need a halo car. Business- and image-wise I’m a little bit mixed about if this is necessary. I like the idea, but it needs to do a job.”

This news follows continuing developments on BMW's implementation of electrified technologies in BMW M vehicles.

In 2016, BMW executive Ian Robertson said that BMW was open towards electrified, hybrid M-cars.
In 2017, BMW M's then CEO Frank Van Meel spoke of pure electric M-cars as inevitable in the future, with hybrid powertrains being available during the transitional period.
In early 2019, head of BMW i Robert Irlinger and M CEO Markus Flasch confirmed cooperation between BMW i and M in electrification technology. Flasch addressed concerns by promising to keep M car character despite electrification.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1
Jason40322.00