View Single Post
      12-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #109
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I don't think that it is the tires and the surface that make the sound, but different surfaces make different vibrations.
If the surface is the common denominator, whether tires are directly involved or not, there is something inducing the noise/vibration at different levels, associated with the surface finish. (I'm still not convinced wheels/tires are not at least partly involved in generating the soundtrack).

The comment about M-sport model is also of interest. Thinking out of the box, is there something different about the underside of the vehicles? Particularly Tourings? Any different air flow deflectors? As M-sport models run lower to the surface, I wonder if that is involved in changing the harmonics of something fitted under the body.

Thinking back a bit, there have been reported issues with the engine undertray (or associated plastic parts) on the odd F3x models, where users have identified badly fitted (possibly wrongly fitted) parts which generate additional noises than when correctly fitted.
Appreciate 3
XXXX19.50
530iDriver1707.50