Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
I have finally got some sort of response from BMW U.K. having written directly to Graham Grieve (Managing Director). The problem is that my main concern has still not been addressed i.e. the lack of any warning to owners that the software update was about to fundamentally change the character of the car and, worse, retrospectively! I have thus asked BMW to comment further especially as vehicular legislation is not normally applied retrospectively. However, the response I have had so far is as follows:-

“I’m pleased to advise I’ve received some details about your BMW 3 Series software update. Jamie Young, service advisor at BMW North Oxford has had his senior technician look into this. Jamie has informed me the software update was performed so that your car meets regulations for vehicles built for the EU, GB, NI and Switzerland countries and regions.

I’ve provided some of the text relating to the update below to assist you, but would advise its intended for our technicians and similarly qualified staff who may recognise what this means better.

The current edition of UNECE regulation R51.03 examines "noise-elevating situations". In the context of the BMW philosophy of complying with regulations according to their meaning, all BMW vehicles are guaranteed not to exceed the aforementioned noise limits indicated by "noise-elevating situations". This leads to a reduction in "noise-elevating situations" corresponding to the engine load.”

I suppose, if nothing else, this does finally prove that the software update DID reduce exhaust noise on pre-2021 models!

This is the latest response I have had from BMW U.K. which still doesn’t answer the issue about latest regulations being (outrageously) applied retrospectively. It does, at last, make reference to my other complaint regarding how owners were not warned in the accompanying notes that the car’s original specification was about to be changed….

“ Good afternoon Stephen

Thanks for your recent email about your BMW 3 Series software update, I’m sorry for my delay in responding and apologise for any frustration caused by this.

After competing my latest investigations, I’ve been given further information about the software update and was advised of the following:

The EU / ECE exterior noise legislation stipulates that the driving noise of passenger cars should be gradually reduced by 2026. For BMW M vehicles as of production 07/2019 onwards, BMW is already adapting the noise levels, thereby making a contribution to greater quality of life.

However BMW are confident the Motorsport range of vehicles will continue to display the sporty and emotional sound typical for the BMW M brand.

On your point of how the software was applied, I can only apologise and advise we carry out updates to ensure the vehicles are kept legal, safe and at their best operationally.

In light of your feelings on how the software was applied, and in your view without appropriate information, I’ve passed this on to our products department for review and consideration.

I hope this information helps, and explains the reasons why this was applied to your BMW 3 Series.

Once again I’m sorry for your disappointment over this, and should there be anything else, please get in touch.

Kind regards

Simon

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Simon Jebb
Senior Customer Service Consultant
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire, GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0)370 5050 160
Email: customer.service@bmw.co.uk
Web: http://www.bmw.co.uk
Thanks for your sterling efforts on extracting a response from BM UK. It's absurd: yet more nannyish legislation to phase out sounds that are dwarfed by the average bus or articulated truck anyway--which far outnumber luxury saloons like the 40i on our roads. Maybe by 2046 we'll all be driving around in silent, homogenous e-mobiles; but by in 2026 I still want to hear an unadulterated ICE. But your point stands: they should have been transparent with customers about all of this, and it's scandalous that they have slipped this alteration in, slight of hand, via an update.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0