Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I doubt it, and honestly all the hysteria sounds kind of nuts. The C7 had world beating performance for its time, was priced around the same, had greatly improved quality, and Corvette fans loved it. Yet all the other marques went about their business and prospered.

It’s hilarious how every internet discussion about Porsches, BMW’s, McLarens (lol) and Supras (ok this last one should be worried) has some fun-guy-at-parties chime in with ‘why would i buy xxx when the C8 is coming’?

No question, people will defect to different brands depending on what they see and like. But the Corvette has had the same value proposition since its birth and it’s never significantly hurt a European brand’s sales, has it? Someone correct me with facts if i’m wrong.
I don't think it'll hurt 911 sales that much, but the C8 is seriously bad news for the boxster/cayman imo. It's neutered by a turbo 4 cylinder, it has less practicality. Not talking about power output-- the current boxster/cayman just sounds like you're driving around an econobox. Character wise, compared to a high displacement V8, no contest. Also, power. Also, dry sump as standard. Also, free of fucking turbos.

The Corvette has the same (amazing) value proposition as ever, agreed. But now it also has exotic looks, mid engine dynamics (and looks), and an interior that looks banging in pics (and everyone who's seen it IRL reports back that it's great). The interior looks good, full stop-- as in, not just "good for a corvette" or "better". Also, actual buttons for functions, instead of burying them in the ICE.

This'll almost certainly be my first American car, so they're pulling some people's loyalties. 6(!) of my friends also plan to get one, none of who have owned Corvettes or American cars before. I've never seen anything like the wide appeal of this things to people of a variety of automotive backgrounds. If you think this car isn't going to pull in customers from places Corvettes haven't before, I think you're deluding yourself.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport

Last edited by Obioban; 08-20-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0