View Single Post
      11-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #58
Ristau
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. Get him a real M3 when he's older like an e36, e46, or e92. He'll be the talk of his friends to have the last hydraulic steering and NA motor masterpiece.
By the time his son is old enough to drive, hate to say it but people his age won't give a shit about any of that. I'm 22 and while there are the people that are obsessed with their manual transmissions, they almost all drive older, slow, non-performance vehicles that are constantly broken down and or having issues. There's maybe 1-2 guys I'm friends with that I could believe would actually not buy an automatic ever.

I personally don't find a manual transmission to even be that much more engaging, granted the only MT vehicle I've driven is a pretty shitty example of an E39 528i. Sure it was neat, but anytime I've driven spiritedly, it's not like shifting happens that much anyway. My friends that do autox stick to one, maybe 2 gears the entire race. Drag racing you row through gears for about 10 seconds. Drifting is also pretty much stuck in 2nd/3rd for most cars.

The truth is, most MT driving is done on regular roads where 99.9% of people don't care whatsoever about being "engaged" with their vehicle, and while I see why so many people love their MT vehicles, it doesn't change the fact that nearly everyone I go to school with that are in the school car club (some of whom made claims that they will always drive manuals) has bought cheap dailies (a few hundred dollar 80s/90s cars) and they are ALL automatics.

tl;dr very few people young will care about hydraulic steering, high revving NA motors and manual transmissions in 16 years. Maybe have an appreciation for them but that's about it (like young adults right now in regard to classic American Muscle).
Appreciate 3
4 Doors1169.00
tetsuo1111227.00