tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
What's wrong with the Africa plant? My 340i came from the Rosslyn plant in SA and I haven't had any major problems with it. I remember reading something about that plant getting awards for quality and for having a really low defect rate.

Dingolfing plant - 21 defects per 100 cars
Rosslyn plant - 15 defects per 100 cars

I understand that having a German assembled car is nice and I was kinda disappointed that mine wasn't but after thinking about it more I don't really understand why it's a big deal when the quality is better.

American made cars are another story. My parent's X3 that was assembled in Spartanburg had numerous issues relating to assembly and quality control.
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with 3ers produced in the South African plant. It received many awards for the quality of the vehicles produced there. However, it’s true that the new, G20 3er will not be produced there. The SA plant now produces the new X3 for worldwide distribution. Other than Germany the new, G2x 3er will be produced in a new plant in Mexico. There is quite a bit of consternation regarding this new production facility with lots of questions raised about the quality of the product produced in Mexico and whether the workers in that country will be up to the task of producing a quality high-end product such as BMW.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!