View Single Post
      01-21-2021, 09:45 PM   #70
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
Launch control on a car using all 4 tires is almost always going to be quicker. This is basically proven time and time again even with manufacturer tests. A car needs to hook to take off immediately and xdrive certainly helps. Wheel spin really doesn't have that much to do with power as a slow prius can spin out and go no where and plenty of people have wheel spin with lower HP cars on launches.

On the other hand, I agree that Xdrive isn't going to help much in a rolling race and can slow the car against a RWD version. In that case, the Xdrive isn't going to help much because the 330i doesn't have nearly enough power to cause traction issues on dry surfaces.
Launch control has two parts, the traction control part (to limit tire spin) and the “helping the turbo spool” part.

Limiting tire spin is basically useless on an x-drive 30i since it’s not going to be making enough torque to break traction in dry conditions (except for driveline shocks like dumping the clutch at 3k rpm, a 30i engine only makes enough torque to pull 0.84gs in 1st gear, well within regular street tires’ ability with awd).

The main benefit of LC on an x-drive while stock would be the brake-boosting bit which on a stock 30i (especially vipin’s which seems to make less boost stock than others) isn’t worth all that much.

The “hooking” up bit you mention is I think just racer slang for getting the clutch out asap so you can get on the throttle (and on a turbo car so you start spooling up immediately).

At the end of the day what matters is your tires being able to put down whatever power you’re making onto the road.

Needing to “hook up” is just short form for “get into the power band, forget about the time lost from tire spin, it’s a loss we’re willing to give up because being bogged down in the bottom end of the motor where we make fk all power would be worse”
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1944.50