10-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #291
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Still can't get over the size increase!! Even the new 5 only grew by little more than an inch... but this, a smaller car, has grown 3 inches!! Makes no sense to me that BMW don't listen to us, the buyers... Well BMW you may well have lost a long term customer here!

The original (1st gen) 5 was 265mm longer than a (1st gen) 3, but now a 5 is only 227mm longer. Both cars are now substantially bigger so the difference should have increased not diminished!

The G20 has truly become the new 5 series!
I agree with you the 3 Series is the perfect size at the moment, to constantly keep increasing it would be a mistake. Every other brand/company is trying to outdo each other, bigger is NOT always better. It's less efficient and less maneuverable. Humans are increasing in size and they want to carry more stuff since they're in their vehicles so much, and I get that. But there has to be some kind of limit. The current 3 Series is the same size of the old 5 Series. And since BMW has made their bread-and-butter 3 Series more luxurious that's where the 2 Series will come in unfortunately, I say unfortunate because we don't feel like downgrading because the price point is getting too high. Especially as the prices keep drastically increasing. We're paying for more technology which some of it is absolutely amazing, but some of it is completely unnecessary for most, cameras everywhere, etc.

I test drove the 2018 X4 40i it was the perfect size. It was built like a tank and slightly on the heavy side and under powered for its weight. And I just test drove the redesigned 2019 X4 30i to make a comparison. The redesigned model was actually larger but yet lighter in weight. And the 30i with the weight difference was just as fast if not faster. But I did find the vehicle to be slightly more cumbersome regarding maneuverability. It's not a dealbreaker by any means. But the X3 is now the size of the old X5. And like I said bigger is not necessarily better. And unfortunately you're forced to pay for it when you don't necessarily need it thats if you want to stay in the same model that you've driven and loved for years and have become accustom to.
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50