View Single Post
      09-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #1138
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
Yes, most people including myself would have preferred an in-house project, but it is what it is. With that said...

How so? Tada-san has stated that the car will receive yearly updates. I don't see how that is any different than what other auto makers have done in the past. When I brought my 05 545i for BMW to only release the 550i for the 2006 year model.

To be fair tons of other sports cars (NSX, GTR, FR-S/86 etc.) have gone through the same process. It isn't an automakers fault that auto media has nothing better to do then to run the same stories over and over with slightly angles.

Rebaded BMW: That would be true if BMW was already developing a new Z4 and Toyota jumped on and piggy backed on the process. The fact is that both companies worked together on a joint chassis for both cars. Yes I know the drivetrain and suspension came from the BMW parts bin. Love it or hate it, we're going to see more of these joint ventures for low volume niche products.

Weaker tech: Well there is a huge price differences between the I6 Supra and Z4 M40i. Looking at the sales and reviews, I think most people are just fine with less tech.

Poor timing: You can blame BMW for stalling this project for a whole year.

Polarizing design: I'm just wondering if you have seen one in person? I thought it look like shit in photo until I see one at the dealer. A lot of other people on various forums felt the same way as well. You can't please everyone, but for a $50k car I think it looks pretty nice in the flesh.
I have seen one in person at a dealership. Overall I do like the design, but the fake vents annoy me. However, that can be overlooked if it is fun to drive. I did really prefer the looks of the concept car, but it is to be expected that got watered down.

For my point on Tada vs Elon lots of car companies do this and without the full details on what is planned for 2021 its hard to judge. However, if it is similar priced and at the 385 mark that has to specifically sting those that just literally picked up the car. I was under the impression that leading up to the launch Toyota was going to take the 86 approach and not do a significant bump to power. At least the e60 5 was out for a couple of years prior to the 550. I always felt bad for those that got a 2007 530 or 330 when the x35s came out the next year.

The rebadged comments are generally an oversimplification. The use of BMW engine, drivetrain and infotainment do give some validity to the thought though. Personally I don't care as I am more of a Z4 fan than Supra.

For the weaker tech I am specially referring to the difference in power to the Z4. Granted their is some price point consideration, but it does not provide for PR. Personally I would hold judgement until I could drive both. The underrated 335 should be more than enough for most people driving. Which would include myself.
Appreciate 0