View Single Post
      08-04-2020, 05:23 AM   #29
Schofres
Rep
Drives: 530e MY2020 (waiting delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
SSD oddly enough would not be a good choice. The problem with ever smaller cells in today's ssds makes them more likely to "forget" the data written over time. An SSD is most reliable if left on all the time as the controller can periodically refresh the flash memory.
If you think your bimmer already drains batteries too fast when not driven...
Hard drives also will lose information but it happens much slower...

High heat like what's found in a car would accelerate this memory loss. My interior get's up to 140F in the summer easy as I live in a desert.

Now that we've moved to TLC and now even QLC flash memory means the chance of corruption over time is even higher.
I have not experienced corrupt data on SSD's in the same frequency as on HDD's, if at all. Further, controllers on SSD's tend to handle that very well, also for SSD's that's been shut down for days, or in extremely hot computers. I don't think this is the issue, I think it's just BMW being cheap. The iDrive 7 on both 3- and 2020 5-series is HORRIBLY slow. I assume a lot loads into RAM at boot, as it's during boot that things just takes forever to load, especially navi and spotify, or when accessing not commonly used resources. During boot, if it's quite, you can hear the HDD work hard... it's 2020 and using an HDD, it's embarrassing...
Appreciate 0