01-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #23
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Stein, let’s assume the charging network is there in the future. It will be.

Who wants to buy a car with a shrinking gas tank?
I'm sure in the future range will be much higher, Tesla will likely release a 500 mile battery eventually and Toyota has a possible solid-state battery system that should hopefully produce good results. But that's the future, so things may change or not end up like that, or they could exceed that, but its a wait and see scenario.

For some people I think it works. Majority of people just need transportation for commuting. For example, my wife has an SUV that she uses for commuting and to carry the dog and that I occasionally use for home depot runs. She could easily daily drive a Model Y that say gets an average range of 280 miles. She drives to DC in traffic and has charging at work and would have charging at home, so for her needs at least range anxiety is not likely there, and any trips we do over 300 miles we normally fly, or if we had a Tesla, the availability of chargers would ease any worries as superchargers are the golden standard for charging. Luckily we have accessibility to assist with the lifestyle. Some don't, although I know Elon is trying to change that with public superchargers. My wife could easily adopt to the EV lifestyle, she simply doesn't want a Tesla yet (due to non-EV factors like build quality, interior, etc.).

For others there needs may not fit an EV, but "a smaller gas tank" to fit with the metaphor may work for some. At first they may be reluctant but of course it really depends on how you use your car and your driving habits as well as daily milage and accessibility to charging. With charging every night or few days there is still a good range for most people who do not drive more than 300 miles a week, and if they do, they can just plug in more often. I think EV's are excellent commuter cars, just not for long distance or fun at the moment in which ICE is still king, but who knows what the future holds.