Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
.pea stone is the best 'material' to put underneath the septic tank system to ensure that it doesn't sink (i.e. stay exactly in place)?
Any time you dig up your yard there will be settling. The important part is having the soil compacted and generally the contractor will use pea stone because it drains well, makes leveling the tanks easy and offers good support. It's more about the connecting lines than the tanks.
Quote:
.what is a 'dosing tank'? I guess the diagram I posted isn't complete?
With out a dosing tank the wastewater flows from the septic tank into the leach field by gravity. With a dosing tank the wastewater flows from the septic tank to the dosing tank by gravity but from the dosing tank into the leach field by a pump in the dosing tank that has a water level sensor. This forces the wastewater into the leach field thus forcing the entire field to be filled, thus longer leach field life. To the best of my knowledge they are mandatory in most codes? They also come with a delightful alarm that will wake the dead if the system malfunctions.

Quote:
.'clean outs' means unobstructed pipes going out in the open? (ditto diagram being incomplete?)
See above diagram "Clean out plug" in a residential system there will be four of them. Common to see four PVC pipes sticking up in the yards but I trim mine so I can mow over them with no hand trimming. Not good to run over them directly with the mower as they can break the leach field at the connection.
Quote:
I know it's popular in the US but us Canadians don't really use garbage disposals, it's kinda a weird concept for us. Actually, how useful is it considering many ppl have composting service from the city? Maybe it was more useful previously?
I have my own composter. The compost is great to have around and it's easy and not expensive.
Quote:
Ok, I'm confused about the bolded part....surely they aren't connected, right? Can you clarify what you meant?
Not sure what you are referring to?
Quote:
I understand that a house can have any combo of (city water or well) + (city sewer or septic tank)?
Maybe but I see no reason to have a sewage connection and a well. Generally the billing is related to how much water you use as they have a meter on that system.
Appreciate 1