View Single Post
      10-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #102
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Wow.. you know things are off the rails when you dismiss valid criticisms.

"First thing and this is for me the most important thing; you can drive fast and completely relaxed. You don't feel how fast you are."

I could not feel more different than this statement. I get this for the 5er but the 3? Especially for the sporty variants, isn't the whole idea to feel engaged and feel like you're moving fast? Otherwise we just keep throwing more hp and more tire at these cars and they're no fun at all despite being quick. Isn't feeling something the whole damn point?? Certainly conflicts with the back breaking suspension on the M branded models.
To me, you've just highlighted one of the big issues for BMW. Many customers do want a smaller Five in the Three. That cry is very evident in customer reviews of any BMW 3-series over the years. Even enthusiasts on this forum have commented they wish the F3x models were more like a smaller Five, and hope the G20 is built that way. More luxury, refinement, quieter, etc.

I imagine most of us know the more attention given to those sort of details, the tuning out of the 'negatives' in of NVH, we move away from the raw cars of yesteryear. Cars become more sterile to drive.

My current Five doesn't feel as fast as my last Three, often surprised by the turn of speed and capability through the twisties in the F11, but no drama like the E91. The built in refinement prevents that engagement. Does it make it a deficient car to drive? Objectively no. Subjectively, when feelings are included, so personal.

As to driving feel, we have a good example of this issue here in the UK with BMW vs. Jaguar models. Both the Jaguar competitors to the Five (XF) and Three (XE) are rated as a better drive, steering feel handling/comfort balance far better sorted.

Why don't BMW drivers move across to Jaguar? Users are after the best 'package', an extra layer of steering feel and slightly better handling, a very small part of that equation.

Just had an old UK motor magazine out, to look back at a group test including the BMW E46 saloon (sedan). For driving, an Alfa was rated the best driving car. But as we know the Alfa of the period was a user's nightmare, so not surprising the BMW rightly earned the best "allrounder". Yes, driving compromises, but best bet to own and drive.
Appreciate 1
otay826.00