03-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #31
///M-Furby
Master Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rob View Post
Just don't understand the fascination with buying an automatic to get .05 seconds faster the dozen or so times you go to a drag strip. that's about 4 of the 100k miles you will put on the car. give me a manual so I can enjoy the other 99k miles.

AWD adds weight, but, as long as you can send everything to the rear whenever you want, just add a tune to make up for the weight. AWD is certainly different, but its not aweful as long as it is optional. My Audi has it's character, but don't get it sideways! No control!

BTW, why is everyone complaining that they can't the HP to the ground? That's not a RWD issue, that just means that, A) Your wheel are not wide enough, and B) You are trying to floor it at to low of a speed. There is NOTHING more exhilarating than flooring 500 or 600 horses in 3rd gear (manual) and running it out. Just cant do it in 1st or 2nd.
A couple years ago I go to the track (M Track days) with a friend of mine. She has the M2 (just came out) and because she bought it off the lot it was DCT. During the drive up she said she was going to sell her M2 and buy a manual version. She said she felt it would be much better for the track (she was new to tracking, and this may have been her first experience...i might be wrong about the last part). After the track event, she no longer wanted to sell the M2. She was so focused on driving she was happy to not have to bother about manual shifting.

On top of that, the DCT is quicker than manual, and when you track, quicker is better.

For DD, I live in the city, so manual is more effort than worth it. Plus, how do you eat a bacon cheeseburger, drink a milkshake and drive a manual at the same time?
"Boo" CPO 2006 330xi | Sold
Appreciate 0