03-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #52
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgraham View Post
Interesting... I've been looking at used cars for my daughter. I've come across the ads with the plate visible, the ones with it blurred/blocked out, and the ones with the stupid finger over the pic.

My sister is a state trooper. We had lunch the other day. I brought this up. I asked why people do this. I can see your plate perfectly well while I'm sitting behind you at a light and it seems to me... even if they know your address from an ad, it doesn't seem like there's much they can do to which the plate/address tie-in.

She said... If somebody has a 2013 Nissan Sentra in silver... and they need a bunk plate for some reason... They'll search ads for a 2013 silver Nissan Sentra that shows the plate. Make a "fake". Then... when the cop sitting behind you at a light runs the plate or the "reader" runs it... it all looks legit. Especially if they have 58 outstanding tickets in a city that uses the drive-by plate readers to find cars to boot/tow.
its a possibility, but not a common problem. rather than manufacturing a plate, which is usually obvious, criminals are more likely to "cold plate" a car by stealing an actual plate. most of the time, they are too stupid to steal a plate belonging to the same make/model.