Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
What I'm most concerned about was the one review that noted the M340 got the steering rack from the F30 unlike the 330 which got the updated and improved rack. It would suck if they made all those other improvements and missed out on the updated rack.
Where did you hear that the M340i didn't get a new steering rack?

From BMWBlog.com:

"However, it did give me a chance to sample the new M340i's variable steering rack. So the new variable-ratio steering rack is lock-dependent, rather than speed dependent. So the spacing on the steering rack's teeth progressively become more aggressive. That means the more steering lock you add, the faster the ratio gets. The old F30's variable steering setup was different, as its teeth spacing was the same throughout the rack but the actual electric power steering would change based on the car's speed. Or at least that's how my simple brain understands the way a BMW engineer explained it to me.

The end result is that the new M340i's steering is far more progressive and confidence-inspiring. While pushing it hard on track, I never felt nervous that the steering wasn't going to do exactly as I asked. It was intuitive and accurate, always feeling dependable. I felt like I could lean on the front end and that I could trust it, which really inspired confidence. Sure, it's light on actual steering feel but no one should complain about that because the steering weight is spot-on and the accuracy and response are both excellent. It feels like the 3 Series is back."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roa...ve-track-test/

In the paragraph that starts "The long straight six...."
Oh boy... Two different reviews that contradict each other. So which is it BMW? Does the 340i have a new steering system just like the 330i or is it the same as the last generation 3-series?
Appreciate 0