View Single Post
      01-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Picked up 2020 330i. Impressions and a few Q's

I've owned many M and non M BMW's over the years, including multiple E46, E90, F80, and G20. Needed a DD (18 R8 for fun car) was looking at an A3 or A4. Didn't really consider the 330i until I had a couple G20's for rental cars and really liked the updated interior and tech.

Impression: Wow this is a big car. Especially stepping out of an Alfa Giulia. I was DD an M2 and Giulia QV for a while, this 330i is more like a "mini 5 series" than a 3 series.

Exterior looks: looks "ok". Best from the rear. Its a 330i so nothing exciting here. Nice to have some decent rims on the car for a base 330i.

Interior: BMW REALLY stepped up the interior which is main reason I bought it. The F80 gen materials were junk for a BMW IMO. Felt old, dated, and cheap. My M2 and 16 535i as well... old and stale. My Alfa interior was way better and nicer, if that tells you something. I had a 320i for like 2 months, the steering had major flat spots, the windows creaked going up, pretty horrible for a BMW. Anyways, the G20 interior is a big step up, and the tech is great. BMW still lags behind Audi in fit / finish (I have an R8 and Q8, Q7 before that) but they have come a long ways. Sport seats are nice, and its nice to have them in a base car as the old base seats were terrible if you are over 4 feet tall.

Tech: The tech is great, love HUD, CarPlay, etc. BMW got all the little details right on the tech, better than the R8 and Q8 execution.

Drive. Well, its a big car. not really designed to be a sports sedan so what do you expect.. Its not a 340i but a base 330i. Put it in sport and it shows hints of BMW of old. I actually like the fake sound, as lame as it is, sounds like my old S65 V8 lol. I always drive in sport for the sound. Sport trans setting is a little jerky, not sure if its for effect or poor engineering. Either way, it's pretty good for DD and no need for paddles.

Overall great DD. Picked it up for $27k w 17k miles loaded up. I went 2020 330i vs. a 18 335 since the interior and build quality are a whole different level. Love the tech, and interior design. Wish it was an M Sport or something but its good for what it is.

Question: is there a setting to not have the seat belt tighten when you start driving away? Drives me nuts.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0