02-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #23
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post
Problem with most DCTs nowadays (for front engines) is that they have no room to grow and can't handle as much torque as the good torque converters.
Well the problem is BMW doesn't want to develop a DCT for more power. 95% of their customer base doesn't know what that is or care, the ZF8 has a smooth launch with the torque converter. Thé ZF8 can mount an electric motor for hybrid application. The ZF8 can handle plenty of power and is mass produced right now.

We all remember how SMGs were loathed by the average Joe despite being fast and fun. DCT is slower but has the other problem, it's not special enough for people to notice it's there.

If SMG had been better received we would see development of a manual that could handle more than 470 hp and an SMG IV pump to go with it. THAT is the best scenario.

If BMW has marketed DCT better you might see more development bucks. I've heard so many old guys at the track raving about PDK being glorious and amazing. It's become a buzzword. Well SMG is faster, and M DCT is just as good by the numbers. The thing is BMW marketing didn't bother to promote either as a competitor.

In reality, SMG couldn't hack it in stop and go traffic, DCT won't work with electric motors. Manuals don't sell. I've driven all three and I recommend keeping them if you got them.

ZF8 is smooth in stop and go traffic and hybrid friendly but no soul. Shame on BMW. Sales have never been better.

We want fun driving, Leasers want comfort and they far outnumber us.

BMW would be crazy to spend money developing a new SMG/manual/DCT when 99% of buyers don't want them or care to learn to use them, and definitely won't buy them.
Appreciate 0