United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

2021+ BMW 4 Series G23 Convertible Official Thread

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Introducing The New 2021 BMW 4 Series Convertible
COMMENTS

Introducing The New 2021 BMW 4 Series Convertible

• All new 2nd generation of BMW’s 4 Series Convertible.
• More style, power, torque and performance.
• The latest safety, driver assist and infotainment technologies.
• MSRP starting at $53,100 for the 430i Convertible plus $995 Destination.
• Market launch set for March 2021 for RWD variants and July 2021 for xDrive models.

2021 BMW 4 Series Convertible

New convertible soft-top

The new 4 Series Convertible’s top uses large panel bow elements with a honeycomb-design construction, a flush-fitting glass rear window, multiple layers of insulation and a fabric cover available in two colors. The fabric is pulled taut when the roof is closed, giving the car a coupe- like appearance with a classic fabric top convertible feel.
The soft-top roof color choices include standard black and an optional Moonlight black which gives the fabric a classy metallic shimmer, especially in direct sunlight.

The soft-top is also approximately 40 percent lighter than the previous generation’s hardtop. The smooth surface, when closed, improves the 4 Series Convertible’s aerodynamics and reduces wind noise. The effective insulation allows for quicker heating of the cabin in colder temperatures. Another benefit of the fabric top is an extra 0.2 inches of headroom when compared to the previous hardtop.

Opening and closing the soft-top takes 18 seconds and can be performed at up to 31 mph. The three bow panels fold neatly into a compact Z configuration which can also be performed via the remote key thanks to the Comfort Access system which is standard on the M440i models and optional on the 430i models.

The compact dimensions of the folded soft-top increase cargo area to 9.0 cubic feet, an increase of 1.2 cubic feet over the previous 4 Series Convertible. The top features a safety mechanism which prevents it from being lowered if the trunk area is filled. A pass-through door in the rear seat allows for longer items to be carried inside the car.

A standard wind deflector with two mesh elements can be fitted in the rear to reduce both wind noise and air turbulence. When not in use, the deflector can be stored either within easy reach behind the rear backrest or in its fitted bag in the cargo compartment.

Exterior Design and Improved Aerodynamics

The new 2021 4 Series Convertible is 5.2-inches longer (5.3-inches for M440i models), 1.0- inches wider and 0.1-inch higher. It also has a 1.6-inch longer wheelbase than its predecessor. The front track has grown by 1.5-inches, accentuating the wider and more aggressive stance of the low-slung open-top cars. The new 4 Series Convertible’s aerodynamic properties are also improved over those of its predecessor (by 0.02 Cx) thanks to the sleek new soft-top, a nearly sealed underbody and numerous improved aero aids such as air curtains and air flap control.

Power and Performance

All models of the new 4 Series enjoy a boost in horsepower and torque over the models they replace. Powering the new 430i and 430i xDrive Convertibles is an updated B46 2.0-liter 4- cylinder BMW TwinPower turbocharged engine delivering 255 hp @ 5,000 – 6,500 rpm (an increase of 7 hp) and 295 ft-lbs. of torque @ 1,550 – 4,400 rpm (an increase of 37 ft-lbs.). The 430i Convertible accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds (tbd for 430i xDrive) and reaches an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph or 130 mph depending on the selected wheel and tire combination.

The new M440i and M440i xDrive Convertibles are powered by the B58 3.0-liter inline 6- cylinder BMW TwinPower turbocharged engine producing 382 hp @ 5,800 – 6,500 rpm (an increase of 62 hp) and 369 ft-lbs. of torque @ 1,800 – 5,000 rpm (an increase of 39 ft.-lbs.). The M440i Convertible accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 5.0 seconds (tbd for M440i xDrive) and can reach an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph or 130 mph depending on the selected wheel and tire combination.

Passive safety and rollover protection system

A comprehensive passive safety package maximizes occupant protection in an extremely wide range of situations. In addition to the super-stiff passenger cell and highly resilient supporting structures, there are integrated safety electronics which deploy the restraint systems at the optimum moment and with the required effect for the type and severity of the collision at hand.

The hot-stamped steels and aluminum alloys used for the safety passenger cell are supplemented by multi-phase steels for extra reinforcement. The reinforced side skirts are manufactured from tailored rolled steel blanks with varying wall thicknesses to cater for the different loads. There are also high-strength side impact members in the doors and seat cross- members to reduce deformation depth in the event of a side-on collision. The full ensemble of restraint systems comprises three-point inertia-reel seatbelts with belt tensioners on all seats, as well as front, head and side airbags whose deployment is controlled by the central safety electronics.

The new BMW 4 Series Convertible’s rollover protection system is triggered automatically the instant the central safety electronics indicate the car is at risk of turning over. The system consists of two protective bars made from high-strength aluminum and fitted out of sight behind the rear-seat head restraints. In hazardous situations, the pre-tensioned bars are extended by a pyrotechnic charge in a fraction of a second and combine with the extremely sturdy windscreen frame to create a survival space for the occupants.

Link to full press release [PDF].

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 200923_The_New_2021_BMW_4_Series_Convertible.pdf (226.3 KB, 1061 views)
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 5
oz555671.00
mkoesel7505.50
Ibiza3479.50