Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamErc View Post
Just returned from the BMW event in Baltimore where we auto crossed cars just like this one. 330i MSport and, I believe, track pack.

I do have quite a bit of autocross experience in 330 E46 sport, highly modified E90 335, stock M4 ZCP so wanted to give my quick impressions, (just my opinions!)
- I was much more impressed in person of the looks of the exterior. I would buy one with this spec for spirited daily driver.
- Auto crossing at these events doesn't give you much time to appreciate the interior but I have to say I need more time for it to grow on me. Nor can you experience the features, your ushered in and out of the car quickly. I worry it's too generic but also don't like to form an opinion until I have more time to enjoy the car in normal driving.
- Regarding performance, I am very impressed with the handling. The car really scoots around the corners until the front tires were cooked and the tread blocks started deteriorating. There is better steering feel than F series and the dimensions of the vehicle become very familiar, quickly. Really impressed with agility!
- The power is stronger than you expect but takes a little time to come on. Even from a dead stop and punching it, it takes a good two count to really start moving. In all fairness, I have no idea what the car was set on an the BMW event person would not let me turn off the AC. Also, wasn't allowed to manually shift either. Also if you slightly miss an apex and need to dig out of a corner, it takes another 1-2 count. Started to accelerate a count before needed.

But all in all, very impressed and have new respect for the G series.
Just went to the same event today and mostly agree with you. I was definitely impressed overall with the G20s they gave us, although I'm also sure they were loaded to the gills. The cars were super easy to kick the rear out, even with traction on, and the driving position, new seats and interior were really nice and gave a more premium vibe compared to the F30. I still wanted to see what they were like on the road as I have yet to fully test one, but they only had 1 sport-line 330i available for test driving, and I felt no desire to test it honestly, especially since I wanted to drive the M240i they had.

My only complaints are of course the 4 cylinder, which is a simple solution, pony up the cash for the M340i, and that the steering is too light still (not just a problem with the G20, most modern cars have this problem), and it didn't help that my friend drove us up in his 330i (e90) and let me drive, so it was weird going back and forth from hydraulic to electric, but overall much improved from the F30 steering, and I would likely be able to get over this, although the M340i doesn't share this new steering rack so I am a tad worried.

One problem is that I went straight for an M240i test drive right after the autocrossing, and forgot how good the 3 series was and remembered how BMW got the 2 series so right, definitely the enthusiast choice BMW, if only it had 4 doors! Also getting back into the 2 series, I also appreciated how simple and easy the design/ergonomics are in that versus the new cars, the analogue gauges were lovely, iDrive 6.0 in my opinion is better and it reminded me a lot of my old E46 in how small and nimble the 2 series was.
What's wrong with the 4 cyl?
Its just inherently a 4 cylinder, you know, it doesn't sound good, feels less smooth and refined than an inline 6. While it has enough power for most people, in my opinion, when I buy a BMW i really only go for their inline 6, its their bread and butter. They may have started with inline 4's but their best engine is the smooth and silky inline 6. For sound and refinement as well as strong power and torque, I always take the 6 over the 4. Its like the car screams "I'm a sports car" but we all know that that engine is in their for fuel economy/efficiency/cheaper reasons. Just my $0.02 on the subject. I know some people don't mind, and i'm sure its good for 95% of the population, but I just don't like them, never really have, never really will.
That may be it, but you do realize that the B58 is based on the B46/48 with 2 extra cylinders added to the block, thanks to the modular architecture?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0