View Single Post
      08-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #19
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
Agree with everything you said, and that's why I am still around here rather than the C8 forum.

Ideally, I need the G80 to replace my G30, not my E92. So, the G82 isn't even in the race for me since I need usable backseats.

However, if the G80 flops (any combination of performance, driving dynamics, weird looks, etc.), then I am keeping the G30 and replacing the E92 with the C8.

If all goes to hell, then maybe I'll somehow figure out a way to put car seats in the 992.

There was a time when my long-departed Z4MC was good enough to get me by as the only car (and the C8 would fit that mold), but having to install car seats is today's reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
The thing is though ... how many people are buying an M4 because of its unrivaled performance? It's a quick car but it's much more than that, especially for the M3 crowd and a fully functional back seat.

If folks are buying the M for a great dual purpose car, it's going to be a little bit harder of a transition to the C8. Totally understand lusting after its performance and looks, but it's going to be much lower (climbing in and out), much less usable space inside, lower body work (easier to scrape/crack the bumper), etc etc which all are going to be a bit change from the M4/3.

I cross shop weird stuff (M6 vs Raptor for instance) so I get it... just wanting the coolest & most desirable car for the money sometimes is the most important criterion, but when it comes down to it, I wonder how many folks will really go the C8 route after an M3/M4. As much as I like the C8, there are lots of compromises there for daily use.
got car seats in my new Camaro SS 1LE. It's not pretty but enough to work in a pinch when my wife needs me to get the kids from school or we all want to take a rip around town. I was super close getting an M2 but the 1LE just puts a smile on my face with the drama it provides and it feels really predictable and tame compared to the ZL1 I test drive. I was afraid the M2 would leave me wanting drama... SS 1LE leaves me wanting some other stuff (being able to relax once in a while on the highway, being able to see any of cars around me, navigation) but it does offer a ton for the price with plenty drama.

Maybe I'll skip the G80 and get an X5M to still get my BMW/M fix and use it to tow the 1LE to the track ...

Appreciate 0