View Single Post
      06-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #207
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

I don't have a G20, but an F30 and have heard/read of similar issues with N20/26 engines as well as N55 engines. I'm wondering if this is a by-product of going with a thinner viscosity oil, which all manufactures are doing in attempts to increase fuel economy. These cars are coming with 0w-20 as a factory fill now, yes? Depending on the dealer you're going to, I'm wondering if they have switched from 0w-30/5w-30 to 0w-20 in their service departments, and I'm wondering if those that aren't experiencing issues aren't because their dealers have continued using a -30 oil instead of switching to a -20.

I use a -40 in my N20 powered car and have never had consumption issues, and I change my oil ~6k miles. Maybe it's too simplistic, but I'm wondering if the higher viscosity oil would solve, or at least help ameliorate the issue here? I've always felt that the thinner viscosity oils aren't thick enough to properly cool and lubricate the bearings on the turbo compressor/turbine shaft, or provide adequate lubrication in general if one tends to give their car a good flogging on a pretty regular basis. Turbos can peak at anywhere from 80,000 to 250,000 RPMs depending on the design and application. That seems like a lot of heat and a lot of friction, both of which can cause oil consumption by "burning" away oil. I hope that's not the case here as that would result in coking on the turbo bearings, which usually leads to per-mature "death" of the turbo.

Hope BMW gets this sorted out. My old 2004 Jeep TJ with 260k miles didn't consume a single drop of oil, and I changed the oil in that thing every 10k miles from the first oil change; synthetic oil of course. I think it's unacceptable for any modern car to have this issue.

Last edited by IraHayes; 06-25-2020 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0