secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
While it is true that Mercedes recently consolidated their two-door, four-seat products into the E and S model lineups (and introduced two new ones in the C model lineup), they also kept the CL* names for the "four door coupe" products. So, while they removed two nameplates - the CLK and CL - they had added the CLA and CLS just a few years earlier. And there is still the possibility of a CLC or CLE four door coupe joining the lineup. This would leave them essentially where BMW is today as far as passenger car model count, the distinction being that their two door models are grouped with sedans instead of the four door coupes (which, frankly, makes less sense in my opinion). However, they would indeed have fewer SUV model names (but still no fewer actual models) since their SUV "coupes" are combined with the standard SUVs ("GLC Coupe", "GLE Coupe"). Incidentally, the GLK and ML weren't removed; they were simply renamed GLC and GLE.

Well, as noted in the article (and elsewhere previously) you will get your wish. Many models are being removed from the lineup. But four door coupes and four door SUV coupes aren't going anywhere soon since both are seen as growth opportunities, at least for the time being. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see four door coupes slowly push traditional sedans out over the next 10 to 15 years.
Yep and their renaming and consolidation makes sense (minus the two door models being grouped with the four door coupes).

GC is here to say, just bummed that the 8 coupe/convertible will die out. I’m surprised they will kill the Z4 considering it just came out and it’s a big collaboration with Toyota! I’d imagine GC models would take over, provided the price is right and people get over the 2+2 configuration.
Appreciate 0