07-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
Dr.Deep
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
I think you guys are missing the point. They can build the cars with all the features on them, which is faster and cheaper than building to order, and then people can unlock whichever features they want, or cancel those they don’t. Someone in Minnesota find the perfect car in Florida except it doesn’t have heated seats? Click - now it does. Active Cruise? Got it.

Btw, this is how Tesla works. Perhaps you’ve heard of them? They seem to be doing ok with it.
Of course it is a nice feature to be able to add some options on a used car that the previous owner did not want....and for some services it may make very good sense where somebody would say I don't need realtime traffic information or remote services and another guys does want this service.

But in my opinion, if you put in hardware like seats or adaptive lights into the car from the factory, you pay this piece of hardware, but then you have to pay again to unlock the feature to make it work...a simple software unlock that is absolutely no additional effort for BMW....for me this is pureley playing the „ lets milk the customer" game.

That goes into same direction as if you would buy the car, so you payed for it and it is yours, but in order to make it drive from A to B you have to pay again...
Appreciate 2