07-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #48
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
You can't be serious? EV's accounted for 2.6% of global sales in 2019. If BMW converted their entire lineup to EV today I certainly agree their status as independent manufacturer would be in danger as they would be catering to an extremely small minority of buyers. It's not a race to totally convert to EV as automakers are going to have to straddle the line between being able to sell cars today as well as tomorrow. Forums are full of emotional posters which is why we see a lot of posts like above but we are the minority as the masses who look at automobiles strictly as transportation don't really care either way what they drive and will simply purchase the cheapest vehicle that fills their needs. If I was a betting man BMW will probably be one of the last manufacturers standing as there are many manufacturers in much more precarious situations such as Chrysler, GM, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, any British automaker, etc. I would expect some of them will not be around next decade but I wouldn't worry too much about BMW as they will be fine. The fact that BMW missed the boat for you means absolutely nothing in the big picture.
IMO, and many will differ, the not too distant future will have educated people regarding driving an ICE car in an urban area to be the same as cigarette smoking. There are still lots of profitable cigarette manufacturers with customers just as there will be lots of car buffs with ICE autos. But, there will be a social price paid by users, once one leaves the realm of those on an hourly wage. I remember when almost everyone smoked. Now, it's something done away from the company of others.
Appreciate 0