View Single Post
      06-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepimentel View Post
Yeah, I know that “compares best against” is a pretty general question. The topic came up amongst friends and the statement was made that the M340 can’t compare against any of the more recent generations of M3s in terms of performance. While I love BMWs (this will be my 3rd) I admittedly don’t know enough to say one way or another.
I would say - your friends have not driven the properly equipped M340.

It is not the previous generation 340 - BMW went all out to make it a true performance car. It follows the same formula the new M3 will have - all wheel drive -rear biased, auto gearbox, filled with tech.

So to compare apples to apples. find the M340 with cooling package and passive suspension. So it will have the same tires as M3 - pilot 4s, radiator cooler - same as M3, upgraded brakes.

I can tell you - for the street - I like the M340 better compared to the competition M3. It has better usable low torque, better traction off line, more comfortable suspension, while not giving up cornering. And the technology n the new M340 makes older m3 look dated.

M340 has very similar parts to M3 - so it is a good indicator what the new one will be

M 340 parts:

- extra cooling radiator
- Upgraded brakes
- Performance exhaust
- Limited slip dif.
- Even the engine has undergone significant redesign

B58TÜ has the following changes from the original B58 (according to BMW tech documentation):

A Fuel preparation with 350 bar injection pressure
B Cylinder head with integrated exhaust manifold
C Adapted exhaust turbocharger made from steel
D Split cooling
E Coolant pump with integrated pressure relief valve
F Heat management module with electric split cooling valve
G Single-part chain drive

So go drive one - you'd be the judge.
Appreciate 6
RPM1123280.00
xlover2191.00
praxis218823.50