View Single Post
      07-31-2019, 05:36 PM   #132
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

I honestly believe the problem with the 8 is -even if it's a tremendously awesome car- that it stuck far too close to the formula of the 6 Series. Let's face it, there is absolutely nothing on the 8 Series that couldn't have fit the mold of a new 6 Series. So same basic formula, but now further upmarket with the price increase to match?

What is the 8 Series supposed to be exactly anyhow? Is it a sportscar, a GT, a fast cruiser, a premium luxury sedan in 2-or-4-door layouts? Or, and I think this is probably what BMW set out to do from the beginning, is it a little something of all of the above?

Again though, I'm not trying to berate the 8 Series. I think it's a fantastic car, but I just wish BMW would've tried resurrecting the M1 instead of the 8. In an ideal world, the new 8 Series would've been the new 6 Series, with a newly conceptualized M1 sitting at the very top of BMW's lineup.

As for the Z4 and X2? Not all that surprised about the Z4, it's a shrinking segment as a whole. The X2 though I would've thought had all the boxes ticked that would make it a sure bet. Is its sales numbers just not justifying it?
Appreciate 3