View Single Post
      12-30-2019, 11:00 PM   #9
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
So @2020g20 you have seen ones with no tint max out at half brightness on a sunny day? That's where I don't understand how dealers can deny that there is a problem.
Sunny day, but not with direct sunlight on the dashboard. Before I tinted my 330, the screens would be really bright when direct sunlight was shining on the dash sensor, and maybe around half brightness if I was in the shade. At that time I was not paying as much attention and had not built a light meter for the dash yet, so I didn't record any details. The un-tinted 330 loaner I had recently seemed to behave the same. When I showed the service guys how much brighter the screens could get with my IR device attached, the dash was definitely not in direct sunlight, but we were outside and the sun was shining.

After tinting (Suntek CXP 35%) my screens max out at less than half brightness even when the dash is in direct sunlight, and in shade I'm at a level 1 or 2 out of 10. And it cycles back and forth constantly as the light moves around while driving, which is the most annoying part, and what drove me to make my IR device to stop it.

All of that said, I'm in downtown Atlanta, which means everywhere I drive I have either a tree canopy or tall buildings over the top of me. And of course it's Winter which means it's not very bright here in general. All of that definitely factors in.

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-30-2019 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0