01-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #104
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Sadly, it is not "simply my opinion and nothing more" since many (expert) reviews put F30 and G20 behind the competition over and over.

I chose the F80 for a few simple reasons - the M3 dream, the best leasing rates in industry, the completely different driving experience from the F30 (non-M BMW). And it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, but I am sad that I have not many chances to push it the way it is intended to be driven.

As my lease is approaching the end, I test drove the G20 and realized that is NOT going to be my next car since the 340 payment would be very close to the F80 and the cars are miles apart...
The F30 was definitely a bad mark on BMW's 3 series reputation, as evidenced by many reviews, and iconically by the fact it fell off C&D's top 10 list (first 3 series to ever fall off that list). Unlike the F30, I don't agree that the G20 has been rated behind the competition of the class it sits in, and is viewed as the 3 series comeback kid. As someone who has owned both chassis (I had 2 F30's), I agree with the consensus of these reviews.

It's good you chose the car that fit your wants and needs. But with respect to your comparison of your F80 M3 vs G20 M340, there are a few of things taken out of context:
  • While the M3 is surely a full M car, performance wise the M340 is neck and neck with it. 0-60 times are the same, and the M340 falls short in the quarter mile by under a tenth of a second (while having xDrive). It's no slouch around the track either.
  • While your lease payment for the M3 may have been comparable to the M340, you leased a car that was ending production, while the M340 was just going on sale. I'd be surprised if your M3 lease payment is at or below the $600 mark, which is what most are leasing a fairly loaded M340 for.
I wouldn't say the M3 is "miles apart" (implying it's better) from the M340, but rather they accomplish a similar goal (potentially similar lease price range, virtually same performance) while providing a different driving experience (inferior technology and more raw feel vs. updated technology and more of a daily driver).
Appreciate 2