01-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #109
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
I love when so called "Enthusiast" claims the cars are very similar because their 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers are close...
FYI, I have seen tuned Golfs beat F80 0-60 times....

However, the cars are completely different and yes, miles apart, from suspension, transmission, brakes, LSD, balance, steering, materials used and weight... Way more than the engine output and 0-60 times.

If you can get fairly loaded 2020 M340 XI with leather, premium and exec package, MSRP of $62k with 4k discount let's say so $58k car for under 600/month, you should go into banking business... That is theoretically impossible assuming 0% interest rate and 60% residual...

In Fact, let me add:
the comparable equipped M340xi MSRP is $63,000 + destination fee, taxes and fees.
if you got 5% off in MA, 2% above the invoice, no down payment, 60% residual, 0.00177 MF, your payment is over $750 + taxes = >$800/month.
Very close to my F80 payment for the car that aside 0-60 and 1/4 mile and all the techy stuff is nowhere close to F80 IMO.

I doubt BMW is giving below invoice on the 2020 models with such "stellar" reviews?
I never claimed to be an "enthusiast". I love the brand and my car, but day-to-day I'm just a regular owner.

My claim regarding times was aimed at the user who was trying to make the M340 seem like a slouch compared to the F80, which it's not. I agree 0-60 or 1/4 mile times aren't everything, but there is a reason journalists test and report on them. Likewise, most owners aren't tracking their car weekly (if ever), and the value proposition is that if they can get virtually F80 performance in a daily driver package for the same price or less than the F80, then that's a great buy. An M340 owner knows they aren't buying a true track car, but that doesn't mean it can't run with the F80 M3 too.

Not arguing with you on lease pricing. As others have said, many are getting $600/mo leases for an MSRP of ~62-64K or $650/mo leases for ~64-68K. My lease is 62.5K for just under $600/mo. Folks aren't lying about lease figures, and if you use a lease calculator and the published rates, you can back into the payment they're claiming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
"Quite a few people" got 10% off + incentives on the brand new, just released G20, which is >3% under the invoice pricing. That tells me two things: BMW is desperate for sales and that they do not believe in G20. Ah, and the third -- it is overpriced.

I don't think "quite a few" people are getting those deals...yet.

Also, $69k for a 340 is a way overpriced...
Folks were getting 10%+ the G20 since it started production. Just browse the forums. 10% off is the golden standard where repeat BMW customers with relationships (not even always a requirement) with dealers can start negotiating. It's been this way for my past 3 leases since I started in 2013.

You're naive for thinking BMW is making no profit if they go below MSRP or invoice, but that's what they want you to believe so you stop negotiating downwards.

My dealer isn't a close friend but I have a relationship with him nonetheless, and he did say BMW is permitting for more discounts on sedans vs light trucks due to light trucks being more popular in the US lately and sedans being harder to move. Do with that information what you will, but that's not specific to BMW but rather the entire industry.

Lastly, since the M340 runs with the F80, is it really all that crazy that the MSRP can creep up to M territory? You're also speaking as if the G80 will be priced similarly to the F80. I think you're in for a rude awakening.
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00