cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
As I understand it, back when we had this granite installed in 2002, installers used metal rods to support some sections (for example around sink cut outs). Those start to rust after a while and that creates a crack in the granite. Once there is a crack and some water gets in, it’s a free for all. I also understand this is not uncommon, especially on 2cm thick granite, and the industry no longer uses those metal roads. We’ve had it repaired twice and it looked good for a week before getting worse both times. We also want a new sink but can’t because granite is too fragile around the sink right now.

So our options are to replace the entire section of counter (to make sure the section matches, but may not entirely match the rest of the counters because different slab) and the sink for $2K - $3K or all the counters, sink and backsplash (since we would install 3cm counters now) for $6K - $7K+. But spending $6K - $7K now means we’d probably never do the cabinets unless we got custom cabinets that enabled us to re-use the counters. We looked into refinishing cabinets and not really worth the money vs. getting new and getting new cabinets is $20k+. I kinda gravitate towards the $2K - $3K option, while my wife wants to redo the kitchen, salvaging only appliances. So stalemate. I filled the visible crack with silicone to buy more time (before I eventually give in I guess).
It's a rabbit hole. Do you really need new cabinets? If you replace all the counters, sink and backsplash with something different, it will be LIKE a new kitchen. But then again, a happy wife = happy life. Tough call.