04-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #2329
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
So you're using an adjustable bench to do your DB presses? I struggle a little more to get the DBs in position on an adjustable due to the height of the back portion. I prefer doing them on one of the fixed upright benches, believe their called a seated utility bench. The back of the bench usually stops near my shoulder blades which allows me to slightly arch my back, also more freedom of the rear of my shoulders. Makes getting them up a lot easier in my opnion because you'll have a little more room to work with.

As far as moving them out of your rotation, I'm a big fan of the hammer strength iso-lateral shoulder press. Not sure if you have one of those at your gym, still able to get a full movement since usually with my shoulder presses I go below 90degrees, meaning at full load my elblows are more inline with my nips then my shoulders. Second favorite shoulder workout after DB press haha
Yeah the adjustable bench back seat height does affect range of motion. One thing I thought of was doing something like I used to do years ago. I would do them standing, but have my lower back braced against a Preacher Curl bench that I rotated the pad on so the flat side was against my back.

I may put the Hammer Strength back in. We have a complete line of that equipment at the gym. I didn't even think of that one.

I liked it in the past as I could load it up and people would just stare like what is that idiot doing?

But I go below 90° too...always have. Just felt more natural to me. Also at the top of all my pressing movements, I do something like a shrug movement with my traps. It feels odd at first because you are used to doing that motion while your holding weight from a hanging position.

But doing it at the top of a press hits your traps in a different way plus it pre-exhausts them for shrugs later!