Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Unless I know for sure I will need the minimum focus distance, which is almost never, I will take the extra 2/3 of a top of light anytime. Depending on how the 7RIV performs, the 100-400 will end up on one camera or the other. I am curious how the 200-600 plus a 1.4 will work on the crop mode of the new one for maximum reach. Obviously it wont be as fast as the A9, but sometimes I don't need fast, just good enough will do.
I suppose the AF of the a9 would have been better for all the bee shots that I took, but the a7RIII was good enough. Thing is, bees do the same things over and over, so keeper rate is not near so important as BIF shots.

With 25mm of extension tubes, the 1.4x teleconverter, on the 100-400mm, I found that the minimum focus distance was 18", down from 24". That makes it a hell of a useful macro. BTW, B&H says that the MFD is over 30", so I don't understand that. I measured mine with an accurate tape measure.

With the a7RIV, you'll be able to do some super-critical resolution comparisons of those lenses. I'm anxious to see what you see.