View Single Post
      05-06-2020, 05:21 AM   #3
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Looks really good!

In the UK any coding invalidates warranty on the coded part. But tbh very few service centres notice and if you have an update it resets all coding. And dealers have no idea.

But a word of caution - there have been numerous reports where BMW have applied a software update, bricked the ECU, looked at the files and then asked the owner for £2k for a new ECU because they've coded it. Basically blamed the coding for the software update failing.

I had an issue with my previous car where the iDrive failed and I had a lot of coding done. Never picked it up during servicing but they checked the software and could see it had been coded and questioned me about it. I was lucky that they didn't take it further (I think because they couldn't fully prove my coding was the cause and they found a lose wire) and sorted it for me. But I was worried!

What they saw is a load of error codes that didn't go when cleared. Nothing the car would pick up but the OBD scanners did. Like ASD off - this throws an error code.

The general forum advice in the UK is 'you have to be prepared to pay to play'. You do anything to the car that isn't BMW approved and you run the risk of them rejecting warranty claims so be prepared to sort it yourself.

Like your wrap - if you have a paint issue they could argue the wrap caused it for example. Unlikely but it's possible.