Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
Opinion question here on planning and timing. I'm currently in my 2016 340 and the warranty ends at the very end of 2019. I'm interested in finally stepping into the M world as I'll be easily able to daily it in Colorado with the AWD.

I don't want to pay $3,000 to extend my current warranty to March 2021, but I'm also a bit paranoid as I've had to replace the transmission on my 340 which would have cost me $14,000.

With custom ordering, when am I realistically looking at getting in the G80? I realize it will be in 2020, but how far in? In other words, if I don't extend my 340 warranty, how long will I be driving it without a safety net before getting in to the G80?
The ZF 8HP is relatively reliable. With 60k mile transmission fluid changes, there's no reason to believe it'll be the source of any issues. You probably just got a bad one originally.

You'll probably be able to get your car by early 2021 so it'll be at most another 2 years. I don't know what car companies have done to make every so afraid of owning a car out of warranty. Once you have no warranty, there is very little reason to take your mass produced car to the stealership and you'll find repair costs are much more palatable at an indy shop.

Stuff really doesn't cost that much; the dealership just makes you think stuff is expensive for several reasons. First, it makes you afraid of owning it out of warranty and keep leasing/buying new cars. Second, they make more money from people that only go to the dealership, even out of warranty. And third, it makes you think that the $3000 extended warranty you get is worth it because you would have been charged $1500 for a couple gaskets that would have cost $500 from a good mechanic. Even the dealership doesn't expect people to come back there for an out of warranty car.

You might get one big $1000-$2000 repair if you're unlucky, but likely you'll have no trouble. There's extremely little chance of you needing $3000 worth of service in the next 2 years. Just do oil changes every 7k miles and do those transmission fluid changes at 60k miles (which is the ZF recommendation).
Appreciate 0