08-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #39
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
What boxer engine does Ferrari build?

BMW most likely doesn't use this because the packaging limits putting it between the wheels, it's wider so it needs to be in front of the axle, which gives you the huge polar moment of inertia from a front-mounted engine.
100% true. Cars that have boxers in the front (like subaru) have them in front of the front axle/suspension components.
A 4cyl boxer is one of the best engines if you're going to put an engine there because its short and low, but if you want a 6 cyl, you're already stretching up that lenght. (and bmw of course love their sixes)

Putting a boxer inbetween the suspension is virtually impossible. Even alfa romeo, who went as small as 1,2L for their boxers, had to put them in front of the suspension struts.

Ferrari build some boxers in the past, like in the 512BB (Berlinetta Boxer). Of course they're all mid mounted, something BMW virtually doesn't do.

As for Haldex vs the more traditional 4wd: I think whats better, or better said good enough for what the vehicle is meant to do, also greatly depends on what type of differentials you use, and in modern days, how your software is programmed. For instance in scandinavia, where winters are of course also extremely hard, loads of 4wd volvo's drive around (all haldex since 15 years or so) and they seem to manage. Remember driving on public road is not like driving a wrc ralley stage. If you do that it might be different (although I think that nowadays every winner of a WRC ralley championship for the last 15 years drove a haldex equipped car so thats also something to think about)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-10-2019 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0