View Single Post
      10-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #76
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That's right. So in that case they obviously determined that it made the most sense to do it that way. But that doesn't mean that it would make sense in every other case. To wit, you are no doubt aware that the M6 was the last of its kind for the foreseeable future. That fact could very well have played a role in the decision to release the M5 as early as they did this time.

Whatever the reason, it clearly did not become the new normal for all M product launches since two counter examples - the X5/X6 M I already mentioned, and the X3/X4 M as well - have occurred since.
In the case of the X5M the base X5, the G05 had the shortest time to market I think I ever seen for a BMW giving less time for X5M development and leading to an unusual amount of quality issues on the 2019s if the forum here is a decent gauge. This is obviously speculation on my part but I wouldn’t be surprised if the time to finish the X5M to a level expected by an M car just required the time to the launch and it wasn’t that it was held back at least not for any significant time.
Appreciate 0