Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
M340i vs G70 3.3T Sport Comparo. Hits 3.8s 0-60 in Instrumented Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscsix View Post
I understand both of your points, but let me elaborate. I don't understand why anyone would buy anything less than the six cylinder for the same reason as yours. I've had plenty of four cyclinder BMW loaners and was always aware that they did not excuse a premium feel.

Why spend extra money on a BMW over something like a well equipped Accord or some such car, but then go cheap on the engine. And it's not about performance. It's about the silky smoothest and effortless performance and it still gets great gas mileage.

Totally agree with you, I could never see myself forking over the cash for a BMW only to go for a base 4 cylinder motor. But that's because we place value on getting a 6 cylinder over a 4 cylinder, regardless of if it's due to performance or smoothness.

Majority of consumers don't put enough value on getting the 6 cylinder over the 4 cylinder to justify the extra cost, and that's evident in sales figures.

In fact if you look at the trend of these luxury brands offering new ever-cheaper entry level cars (i.e. Audi A3, Mercedes CLA/A class etc) which are coming in even below the previous entry level offerings, is because they've identified that there's a significant market of consumers who place value simply on the fact that they're able to drive a luxury brand, and couldn't care less about smoothness/performance/actual luxury. You can't really say those ultra-entry level cars are all about luxury/performance.
What if it's fully equipped but just on 4 cylinder instead of 6 cylinder (pretty typical for a lot overseas market), unless you're driving hard (which is not the point of a being driven on a full loaded 730 LWB), not sure if engine choice matter as much as what you loaded up internally...
Appreciate 0