View Single Post
      03-17-2024, 08:24 AM   #12
mlanes01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G26 e40, 2021 G05 x40i

The most frustrating thing about road tripping with the i4 is the unpredictable range estimates. Once you know your car and you have a better idea of what the range is it's a lot less nerve racking. When I leave my house and the range estimates says 189m for 80% charge I know full well that it's wrong, during that drive depending on wind, ambient temp etc it's going to be between 220 and 250 (e40 w/18's) possibly more depending on the route. Classic German is that you never normally get less than what they estimate but it is very conservative. I don't need to be a range hero but I try to never push it bc I don't want to be that stupid ev owner on the side of the road. I normally plan 15% SOC when I hit the charger. A couple places I drive have very shitty charging infrastructure like going from southern NH to Vermont so I normally try to get where I'm going in one charge of possible. Which in the winter is a bit of a nail biter but still very doable. The other thing I would recommend is try to take advantage of other networks.... EA is such a disaster, and normally gets a lot of traffic. I would rather pay for Tesla or some of the others for reliability and convenience...but another gripe I have with my e40 is that I can't manually precondition and the I drive nav doesn't yet include most of the networks like Tesla and applegreen ... But using abrp and making sure you have charge point, plug share etc on your phone is a big help. Also make sure you have a charge point account and also they recently added shell recharge to the bmw app. That makes it easy since it covers the vast majority of charging networks and saves you time downloading apps etc.... hoping they outlaw having to prepay to use the networks soon, it is frustrating to always have ten bucks tied up on 5 different apps
Appreciate 0