View Single Post
      08-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Seriously shopping; 997 GTS Vs 2018/19 Mustang GT with PP1

Short story:

Porsche handling, cache, looks and resale vs Mustang with similar performance for half the price.

Long Story:

Always been a gear-head, owned an Alfa Giulia GTV when I was 20 years old so have somewhat been down this path. This would be a third car, decided it absolutely has to be;

- Naturally aspirated
- Convertible
- 2+2 seating for kids
- Must have some drama, loud exhaust etc

Leaves me with option of DDing an old M3 but SUPER heavy and expensive to run. Don't like the Camaro so it's down to a Stang or 911.

Narrowed it further to the following;

997 GTS or 991 'S'. 991 is the better looker IMHO but a bit ... common... so to speak. Not a fan of the 997 bumperettes or the 90's dash and centre console, but the GTS looks a bit special with the fat arse from the 4S, the Spyder wheels, 400+HP and Alcantara. GTS also comes with sport exhaust which is a must. So assume Sport+, sports exhaust and Alcantara.

Now to the stang. I have rented a few and feel the engine is absolutely sublime. Interior is modern compared to the 911 and with the optional variable exhaust it sounds mean. Would only plumb for one with PP1 with magnaride. It is some 600 pounds heavier than the 911 though, so it's never going to be as tossable.

I want the Porsche, we all want the fucking Porsche, but the price gap is quite stark. I am fiscally responsible but not afraid to take the leap, it's just a LOT of money for a weekend car.

The big issue other than cost is Toronto roads, they are absolutely abysmal in every way. Littered with pot holes and surface irregularities, ARROW straight, not a corner fucking anywhere, even in a 2 hour radius, just fucking NOTHING, i cannot emphasise how dull the roads are. So the one place the Porsche shines, hustling through a few curves, i'll never ever be able to experience it.

Caveat, never driven a GTS or a stang with PP1.

So $$$, with taxes i'm looking at just under $50K for a 2018 stang and $95K for a 2012 997 GTS. In 10 years they are worth what ..... maybe $15K and $60K?? Who knows I guess.

We all want the 911, but am I being a bit silly?
Appreciate 0