View Single Post
      09-15-2020, 11:24 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
a lot of 6-series owners were unhappy with design ... the astronomical price increase.
It's also worth pointing out that the price increase was overblown, although it was largely BMW's fault. Had they introduced the 840i model at launch, it would have helped with perception. Since the old 640i started out in the mid-to-high $70k range while the 840i starts in the mid $80k range, the real price increase was not too large (though not insignificant either, I acknowledge). But since the M850i launched first with a price tag well over $100k, people perceived it as a 50% increase when in reality that was not the case.

Still, the 8 Series is indeed priced too high. And the reason for that goes back to what I said above - nobody wants a car like this anymore. The Gran Coupe is likely to see sales rebound somewhat, however. Whether or not it can live on its own remains to be seen. However, I would point out that with a starting price for an 840i GC actually below the starting price for a 740i, to me it's an absolute no brainer to pick the former. The said, people aren't really buying the 7 Series much these days either so its not like there's a lot of momentum for large BMW passenger cars. Luckily for BMW, the X7 is absolutely printing money, outselling many other BMW models costing as little as 1/3 or less of its price.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00